Get funding for short-term projects that will support the growth of Ontario’s agri-food sector, ensure sustainability of agriculture and promote the development of vibrant rural economies.
The GGP focuses on providing funding to initiatives that will support government priorities, such supporting the growth of Ontario’s agri-food sector, ensuring sustainability of agriculture and fostering vibrant rural economies.
The program provides funding for initiatives or projects which focus on at least one of the following:
- increasing public engagement and support for agriculture, local food and rural development
- building youth leadership capacity and increasing youth involvement in the agri-food sector
- enhancing safety and risk management practices in the agri-food sector
- strengthening public trust and public knowledge about Ontario’s agri-food systems
- encouraging agri-food and rural development outcomes
Applications must provide specific details to support the project including, without limitation:
- detailed project design
- rationale for why the project should be undertaken and anticipated benefits
- organizational capacity to deliver the project
- work plan (activity timelines and a detailed activity-based budget)
- financial capacity
Who can apply
To be eligible for funding under the GGI, an applicant must:
- be a corporation, partnership, sole proprietor, or unincorporated association, including an Indigenous community or band council
- have the authority to enter into a legal agreement
- disclose all other possible sources of funding being provided or having been requested for the project
- be in compliance with all Requirements of Law and agree to remain in compliance for the term of the agreement
Requirements of Law means all applicable statutes, regulations, bylaws, ordinances, codes, official plans, rules, approvals, permits, licences, authorizations, orders, decrees, injunction, directions and agreements with all authorities that now or at any time hereafter may relate to the applicant, the project or both.
Eligible projects must support at least one or more of the following objectives:
- increase public engagement and support for agriculture, local food and rural development
- build youth leadership capacity and increase youth involvement in the agri-food sector
- enhance safety and risk management practices in the agri-food sector
- strengthen public trust and public knowledge about Ontario’s agri-food systems
- encourage agri-food and rural development outcomes
- do not support at least one of the GGI objectives
- which as a whole or in part are eligible under an active OMAFRA intake or a publicized regular OMAFRA funding program
- are to the sole benefit of a for-profit organization
- have the sole purpose of bringing the applicant’s operations into compliance with Requirements of Law
- have activities that cannot be carried out by the applicant without the direct involvement of the Province of Ontario’s staff
- involve directly influencing and/or lobbying any level of government
- support normal operating costs of organizations/businesses and/or commercial expansion
- are already receiving 100 per cent in total funding from other sources towards the Project, including other government and non-government sources
Funding and eligible/ineligible costs
Level of funding support
Cost-share funding is strongly encouraged for all projects. It is a requirement for provincial agri-food producer organization local marketing projects.
Stacking of funding
An individual project can only receive a single allocation of GGI funding. You cannot stack funding from one or more applicants towards the same project.
Multi-year funding may be available. Multi-year requests must include a rationale. The applicant must clearly forecast the budget and activities for each year of the project within the application
Applicants must have a financial capacity at the time of application to successfully undertake and cash flow the proposed project, should the project be approved for funding.
Applicants must have governance and control structures in place to successfully manage and complete the project, including to manage the funds provided by the province prudently and effectively, and deliver on project objectives.
Eligible costs that are eligible for funding under the GGI are direct costs that are, in the province’s sole and absolute discretion, properly and reasonably incurred, paid or reimbursed by the applicant and are necessary for the successful completion of the project.