Receive funding for projects from high emitting sectors that will drive the reduction of annual greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in Canada within the next decade by deploying emission-reduction technology that is near commercial-readiness.
Not currently accepting clients
Foreign costs: 10% limit on the eligible supported costs spent outside of Canada. Any amount in excess of the 10% threshold is considered not eligible.
- Generally non-recurring and incremental to the ordinary business activities
- Research and Development (R&D) activities: Proposals must be within Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 8 or 9 and should support the development of technology in order to accelerate the transfer of technology to a higher readiness level which has the potential to lead to the implementation of a resultant product, process or service:
- R&D to test the commercial potential of an early TRL concept or findings
- adoption of research findings for commercial applications that have the potential for market disruption
- development of current products through the implementation of new technology that will enhance the eligible recipient’s competitive capability
- development of process improvements which reduces the environmental footprint of current production through the use of new technologies
- Capital expenditure (CAPEX) activities: Expansion or material improvement of existing industrial or technological processes and/or facilities:
- increasing manufacturing capacity
- improving production efficiency through improvements to plant and equipment
- improving processes to increase efficiency
- establishing a new production facility which did not previously exist in Canada
- On-going operational activities not specific to the proposed project are not eligible
- Activities unrelated to the project proposal
- Necessary for carrying out the eligible activities and specifically related to the project
- Must be incurred and paid for by the recipient of SIF funding
- Must be reasonable and in line with SIF’s costing principles
- Overhead costs (indirect costs)
- In-kind contribution (for which there is no cash transaction) such as labour, machinery, use of labs/office space is not an eligible cost as all costs need to be incurred and paid for by the recipient
- Sales and marketing costs, interest expenses, entertainment expenses, donations, fines and penalties, losses on contracts, government taxes.